Menon to visit SL with `tough messages`: Report
Colombo: India is expected to convey in "the strongest terms" its concerns to Sri Lanka on a number of issues when its National Security Adviser visits Colombo later this week, according to a media report here on Sunday.
"India is sending a top-level emissary to Sri Lanka to convey in `the strongest terms` New Delhi`s concerns over a string of important issues," the Sunday Times reported.
Shivshankar Menon, who was once India`s top envoy here, is to meet President Mahinda Rajapaksa and powerful Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa on Friday.
Menon, who will have one-to-one meetings with both the leaders, would raise concerns over the anti-Indian stance adopted by some Sri Lankan ministers, demilitarisation of the north and east and follow up action on the UNHRC resolution which India had backed against Sri Lanka, the report said.
Menon`s visit comes days after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh met Rajapaksa on the sidelines of the Rio+20 Summit in Brazil.
It was only in April this year that an Indian Parliamentary delegation led by Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj told government leaders in Colombo,
"We stood by you. There is a feeling of India being let down badly. There is disappointment."
Swaraj also said that Sri Lankan troops in the north should not be involved in the "day-to-day lives" of civilians in the north.
Since the Mahinda Rajapaksa administration was voted to office in 2005, this is the first time an Indian government emissary has sought to have one-to-one meetings with the president and the defence secretary, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday