Menon to visit SL with `tough messages`: Report
Colombo: India is expected to convey in "the strongest terms" its concerns to Sri Lanka on a number of issues when its National Security Adviser visits Colombo later this week, according to a media report here on Sunday.
"India is sending a top-level emissary to Sri Lanka to convey in `the strongest terms` New Delhi`s concerns over a string of important issues," the Sunday Times reported.
Shivshankar Menon, who was once India`s top envoy here, is to meet President Mahinda Rajapaksa and powerful Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa on Friday.
Menon, who will have one-to-one meetings with both the leaders, would raise concerns over the anti-Indian stance adopted by some Sri Lankan ministers, demilitarisation of the north and east and follow up action on the UNHRC resolution which India had backed against Sri Lanka, the report said.
Menon`s visit comes days after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh met Rajapaksa on the sidelines of the Rio+20 Summit in Brazil.
It was only in April this year that an Indian Parliamentary delegation led by Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj told government leaders in Colombo,
"We stood by you. There is a feeling of India being let down badly. There is disappointment."
Swaraj also said that Sri Lankan troops in the north should not be involved in the "day-to-day lives" of civilians in the north.
Since the Mahinda Rajapaksa administration was voted to office in 2005, this is the first time an Indian government emissary has sought to have one-to-one meetings with the president and the defence secretary, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!