Modi meets PM; protests IT notice to Gujarat govt over VGS
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here and
protested the notice from Income Tax Department to the state
government over MoUs signed during the Vibrant Gujarat Summit.
The I-T notice had sought details of all such MoUs
signed during the Summit in January, where companies had
pledged investments of over Rs 1,000 crore.
Modi met Singh, who is here to take part in the annual
convocation ceremony of IIM (Ahmedabad), at the circuit house
here and strongly protested the I-T notice, sources in the
Chief Minister`s office said.
"The Prime Minister agreed with Modi that this should
not have happened. He has promised to look into the issue,"
the sources claimed. The meeting was not scheduled in PM`s
The I-T department, in a letter sent to the state
government, stated that an inquiry was pending in connection
with the Vibrant Gujarat Summit 2011, and "the details of the
MoUs signed by various corporate entities with the Government
of Gujarat need to be examined."
The letter, dated February 17, was signed by Deputy
Director (investigations), Ahmedabad, Anurag Sharma. Inquiry
was being conducted under section 131 (1A) of the Income Tax
Act, 1961, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH