Nairobi mall attack brings back memories of 26/11 strike
Mumbai: As she watches television coverage of a mall attack in distant Kenya, a Class X student here recalls her brush with death during the 26/11 terror attacks in the metropolis in 2008.
"My heart goes out to the Nairobi mall attack victims. I get the same feeling I experienced five years ago, as I now watch the images flicker on the TV screen," 15-year-old Devika Rotwan said.
On the ill-fated night of November 26, 2008 Devika`s father Natwarlal was waiting at the Chattrapati Shivaji Terminus with his daughter and son Akash for a train, when two terrorists opened fire at the railway station.
Shot in the right leg, Devika, who was the youngest witness in the trial of Ajmal Kasab, who was hanged late last year, had to rely on crutches for a long time.
For Devika and others in Mumbai, the Nairobi mall attack has brought back the bitter memories of the 26/11 terror attack.
"I have been watching the Nairobi attacks with my father.
There is a same pattern. Here, it was the luxury hotels, there it is a mall," Devika said.
"This is like part two of the 26/11 attacks," she said.
"These people have a plan to create chaos at public places," she said.
Devika, who studies at a school in suburban Bandra, said last month she received a letter, warning her not to speak to media about the 26/11 terror attack.
"The letter said that if I open my mouth, I will be chopped off," Devika said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- AAP MLA Jagdeep Singh arrested on assault charges, later released on bail
- Red Bull apologise to Daniel Ricciardo for pit-stop bungle at Monaco
- Have you ever encountered death? These people did and were lucky to survive it – Watch
- Badaun re-run? Teenage girl murdered after gang-rape, body hanged from tree in UP
- Teen sensation Marcus Rashford signs bumper long-term contract at Manchester United: Reports