Narendra Modi evasive on PM ambitions
Tokyo: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi today remained evasive on the question of him being projected by some in the BJP as the party`s prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 general election, saying he was committed to his task towards his state.
Modi, who is here to attract Japanese investment, attacked the UPA government, saying it had many internal problems and there was a possibility of Lok Sabha elections taking place earlier than 2014.
He expressed confidence that NDA would win the next elections and repeat the "good governance" witnessed during the Prime Ministership of Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Asked directly as to what he would do for the people if he became the Prime Minister, Modi responded, "In politics, ifs and buts have no place."
His reply remained the same even when pressed further.
"What I have told you is that ifs and buts have no place in politics," he repeated.
Asked if he nurtures the ambition of becoming India`s Prime Minister, Modi said, "I am committed to Gujarat. I am committed to the 60 million people of Gujarat. They have given me the responsibility. I will have to fulfil that".
Modi, who is at Gujarat`s helm for more than a decade now, is hopeful of coming back to power in the state also.
"In December, we are going for a Gujarat election. My priority is to win that election. I am sure people of Gujarat will elect our government again".
Claiming that General election can happen anytime from the end of current year till 2014, Modi said incumbent UPA-II was facing so many internal problems, failed to check inflation and fast-track infrastructure development.=
"Our Central government is facing so many internal problems. So I don`t known when (election) it will happen. It is very difficult to say that election will come in 2013 or in 2014 or by the end of 2012. (However) I am confident that BJP-led NDA will come into power," Modi said.
"I am sure (of NDA`s coming back into power) because the country remembers of NDA under the leadership of Atal Behari Vajpayee. Inflation was controlled. The work on infrastructure was going very fast. Per day, we were constructing 11 km road, today it has come down to 3 km only. So the people will think that NDA was a very good government. So they will bring the NDA into power," Modi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'