Narendra Modi evasive on PM ambitions
Tokyo: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi today remained evasive on the question of him being projected by some in the BJP as the party`s prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 general election, saying he was committed to his task towards his state.
Modi, who is here to attract Japanese investment, attacked the UPA government, saying it had many internal problems and there was a possibility of Lok Sabha elections taking place earlier than 2014.
He expressed confidence that NDA would win the next elections and repeat the "good governance" witnessed during the Prime Ministership of Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Asked directly as to what he would do for the people if he became the Prime Minister, Modi responded, "In politics, ifs and buts have no place."
His reply remained the same even when pressed further.
"What I have told you is that ifs and buts have no place in politics," he repeated.
Asked if he nurtures the ambition of becoming India`s Prime Minister, Modi said, "I am committed to Gujarat. I am committed to the 60 million people of Gujarat. They have given me the responsibility. I will have to fulfil that".
Modi, who is at Gujarat`s helm for more than a decade now, is hopeful of coming back to power in the state also.
"In December, we are going for a Gujarat election. My priority is to win that election. I am sure people of Gujarat will elect our government again".
Claiming that General election can happen anytime from the end of current year till 2014, Modi said incumbent UPA-II was facing so many internal problems, failed to check inflation and fast-track infrastructure development.=
"Our Central government is facing so many internal problems. So I don`t known when (election) it will happen. It is very difficult to say that election will come in 2013 or in 2014 or by the end of 2012. (However) I am confident that BJP-led NDA will come into power," Modi said.
"I am sure (of NDA`s coming back into power) because the country remembers of NDA under the leadership of Atal Behari Vajpayee. Inflation was controlled. The work on infrastructure was going very fast. Per day, we were constructing 11 km road, today it has come down to 3 km only. So the people will think that NDA was a very good government. So they will bring the NDA into power," Modi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters