Narendra Modi popular, decision on him as PM nominee not yet in place: Rajnath
Nagpur/New Delhi: After BJP leader Yashwant Sinha pitching for Narendra Modi as Prime Ministerial nominee, party President Rajnath Singh on Monday agreed the Gujarat Chief Minister is a popular leader and said any decision on such an issue will be taken by the Parliamentary Board.
"There are no two opinions about Narendra Modi being a popular leader. In BJP, we don`t only have a tradition but a system also that for such a decision, the Central Parliamentary Board of BJP talks and decides on such an issue," Singh told reporters in Nagpur.
He was reacting to questions on Sinha`s favouring Modi as the party`s Prime Ministerial candidate in 2014 general elections.
The BJP chief said "I am on tour right now and I will read the statement and comment (of Sinha) and only after that can I say."
Sinha has said "there is a strong demand from common people and workers that Narendra Modi should be declared as the PM candidate as this will benefit the party.
Sinha`s comments about Modi come a day after the Gujarat Chief Minister had held a two-hour discussion with Rajnath Singh here yesterday and discussed the next Lok Sabha polls.
Holding thast BJP has many leaders who can lead the party as well as the nation, senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu said the party will take a call on the issue at an apropriate time.
"The party has to take the decision. I only appeal to all the people concerned to wait for the decision of the party and also final decision of NDA. To my knowledge, there is no controversy in BJP for Prime Ministership. There are people with enugh experience and also capabities to lead the party and lead the nation," Naidu told reporters.
"We will discuss the matter at an appropriate time...Parties have to discuss the issue and take the decision that is known to all."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack