Narendra Modi set to make first appearance as member of BJP`s central election committee
New Delhi: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi will make his first appearance as member of BJP`s central election committee which meets here on Friday to decide on the party candidates for the May 5 Karnataka elections.
This will be Modi`s first major participation in the party`s affairs at the national level as the committee takes a final call on the candidates it plans to field in Karnataka.
He was appointed as member of the BJP Parliamentary Board, its highest decision-making body, and also a member of the party`s Central Election Committee by BJP President Rajnath Singh when he announced his new team on March 31.
The BJP which formed its first government in any southern state has been on the backfoot ever since its former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa quit and formed his own party.
Karnataka will go to polls on May 5 to elect its 224- member Assembly and counting of votes will be held on May 8. The tenure of current Karnataka assembly expires on June 3.
While 36 constituencies are reserved for SCs, 15 are reserved for STs in the state.
The poll process in Karnataka will start on April 10 with the issue of notification when candidates can start filing nominations. The last date for nominations is April 17 and after scrutiny the next day, the last date for withdrawal of candidatures is April 20.
There are a total of 4.18 crore voters in Karnataka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today