Narendra Modi tries to divide everything between Hindus, Muslims: Digvijay Singh
Pune: Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh on Friday charged Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi of constantly endeavouring to divide the Hindu-Muslim communal harmony in the country.
“Narendra Modi tries to divide everything between Hindus and Muslims. He could have spoken on donning sheathe of secularism but he talked about wearing a veil of secularism. Therefore it was a religious remark made by him,” he told the media here.
Digvijay Singh said it is the communal Hindu and communal Muslim ideology only which creates Hindu-Muslims riots in this country.
“The Congress Party has always fought against this ideology of fundamentalism. Before the independence also, the Congress used to counter both the Muslim League as well as the ultra-Hindu factions. It was this very fanatic Hindu group who assassinated Mahatma Gandhi. We have always fought against that sort of communal ideology and will continue to do so,” he added.
Modi earlier on July 14 charged the ruling Congress Party with wearing the ‘burqa (veil) of secularism’ and ‘hiding in a bunker’ each time it is confronted with a crisis.
Addressing a public meeting in Pune, Modi also attacked Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on the issue of his party’s ‘failure’ to eradicate poverty and alleged that it was raising the bogey of ‘threat to secularism’ to throttle people’s aspirations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr