Narendra Modi`s allegation "falsehood": Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Monday dismissed as "falsehood" and "irresponsible" Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s allegation that Rs 1880 crore has been spent from the public exchequer on Sonia Gandhi`s foreign trips.
Reminding the Gujarat Chief Minister of a complaint made by Congress MPs before the Chief Vigilance Commissioner about alleged scams worth Rs 1 lakh crore during Modi`s tenure, party spokesperson Manish Tewari said" those living in glass houses do not pelt stones on others".
He dared Modi to face a court-monitored investigation into these allegations.
The war of words between Modi and Congress comes two days before Gandhi`s visit to Rajkot on Ocotber 3 to address a rally in the poll-bound state.
Addressing a rally in Jesar, Modi today said "to those Congress friends, who are accusing our government of uncontrolled expenditure, I want to ask: is it not true that on the foreign travels of the President of the Congress Party, Sonia Gandhi, in the past three years, Rs 1,880 crore has been spent from the public exchequer".
Hitting back, Tewari said at the AICC briefing that "it is only symptomatic of his (Modi`s )frustration."
Maintaining that he does not want to dignify any such utterance and "falsehood" by reacting to the comments of the Gujarat Chief Minister, Tewari said it was "extremely unfortunate that the people occupied responsible positions make such irresponsible" statements."
"If you recall, a delegation of Congress MPs had gone to the Chief Vigilance Commissioner some time back alleging scams worth Rs 1 lakh crore during 11 years of Modi`s tenure. If the Gujarat Chief Minister has the courage to explore the truth, he should offer himself to a court-monitored investigation into these allegations," Tewari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Govt aims to make India ''tax paying, not tax evading'' society: Arun Jaitley
- 'Madaari' grosses Rs 4.45 crore worldwide on opening day
- One jawan martyred as Army foils infiltration bid in Kupwara, curfew lifted from parts of Valley
- 'Casino Royale' actress Caterina Murino was sleepless over rape cases in India
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' beats Salman Khan's 'Sultan', crosses Rs 40 cr mark on opening day!