Naval warships charm children of Kolkata, Jammu
Kolkata: A large number of people, including a group of children from Jammu, enjoyed a rare opportunity here to tour inside three warships, including one named after INS Khukri which had sunk in Arabian sea after being torpedoed by a Pakistani submarine in 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War.
As a prelude to the Navy Week, the vessels INS Khukri, INS Khanjar and INS Magar of Eastern Fleet based at Visakhapatnam were thrown open to the public for this weekend at Khidderpore Dock.
Besides a large number people from the city and suburbs, a group of 23 students from Jammu`s Akhnoor town were left fascinated as they witnessed India`s naval prowess.
The children are in Kolkata for a 4-5 day tour as part of the Indian Army`s `Operation Sadhbhavana`, initiated in militancy-affected regions for peace-building efforts through education, motivation and development.
Rear Admiral P Ajit Kumar, Flag Officer Commanding of the Eastern Fleet, was present during the showcase event to interact with visitors.
During the 1971 war for the liberation of Bangladesh, India`s anti-submarine frigate INS Khukri was torpedoed by Pakistan Navy`s Hangor submarine killing 18 officers and 176 sailors.
The ship`s Captain, Mahendra Nath Mulla, who went down with the ship, was posthumously awarded Maha Vir Chakra, the second highest military decoration in India.
A new vessel, commissioned in 1989, was later named after INS Khukri resurrecting India`s most famous warship.
Equipped with surface to surface and surface to air missile and various rapid fire guns, Khukri and INS Khanjar are lead vessels of their class of missile corvettes.
With their extensive weaponry, the ships are a potent force and are capable of being deployed at extended ranges to safeguard the nation`s maritime interest.
INS Magar, on the other hand, is a premier amphibious warfare vessel used for transporting troops and tanks on enemy shore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’