NCW for reducing time-frame for compensation to rape victims
New Delhi: In an effort to reduce the
trauma of rape victims, the National Commission for Women
(NCW) on Saturday suggested that the time-frame for giving
compensation should be reduced.
Welcoming the budgetary provisions of Rs 53 crore as
compensation for rape victims, National Commission for Women,
Chairman Girija Vyas said, "We have already sent proposals for
the compensation but there is a need to fine-tune how the
money will be disbursed."
"An amount of Rs 2 lakh should be given to the victim
-- Rs 20,000 on initial complaint and Rs 70,000 later for
medical treatment. The rest will be given after the victim
gives witness in court," she said at a national seminar on
scheme for rape victims.
The time-frame for the compensation should be one
week, she said.
Among the suggestions made at the seminar is one to
allow victims to file cases in their home town or the place of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble