NCW for reducing time-frame for compensation to rape victims
New Delhi: In an effort to reduce the
trauma of rape victims, the National Commission for Women
(NCW) on Saturday suggested that the time-frame for giving
compensation should be reduced.
Welcoming the budgetary provisions of Rs 53 crore as
compensation for rape victims, National Commission for Women,
Chairman Girija Vyas said, "We have already sent proposals for
the compensation but there is a need to fine-tune how the
money will be disbursed."
"An amount of Rs 2 lakh should be given to the victim
-- Rs 20,000 on initial complaint and Rs 70,000 later for
medical treatment. The rest will be given after the victim
gives witness in court," she said at a national seminar on
scheme for rape victims.
The time-frame for the compensation should be one
week, she said.
Among the suggestions made at the seminar is one to
allow victims to file cases in their home town or the place of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Original seeds of monster black holes detected, claim astronomers
- OnePlus to launch Loop VR headset this summer
- Wishes galore! Look what Bollywood has to say on Karan Johar's 44th birthday
- Controversial BJP MLA targets Nehru-Gandhi family, asks govt to bring down statues named after them
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, Mi 5 goes out of stock within minutes of open sale