New WA regimes will not have adverse impact on ties: Hamid Ansari
Bangalore: Vice President Hamid Ansari has said the new regimes in some West Asian countries would not have an adverse impact on India`s bilateral ties but "hard economic and geo-political interests" would ensure harmonious relationships.
"Barring a serious divergence of views on questions of our national interest, therefore, the new regimes in these countries would not have an adverse impact on our bilateral relations. On the contrary, hard economic and geo-political interests would ensure harmonious relationships," Ansari said.
He was addressing the Asia Centre Annual Lecture on "What Might Be Happening in West Asia" here last evening.
A change of regime would not impact on India`s perceptions since its practice does not admit of regime recognition nor is India generally given to pronouncement of value judgements on the domestic setup of other countries unless such a step is motivated by more compelling considerations of statecraft, the Vice President said.
“In the final analysis therefore the changes, voluntary and expressive of popular will, are to be welcomed,” he said.
The challenge for contemporary Muslim societies, in the wake of the upsurge against autocratic governance, is to seek legitimacy both in the light of their own cultural authenticity and the norms of contemporary world, he added.
Ansari said high unemployment among youth and declining household incomes has been a common factor of social unrest in all the affected countries.
"A World Bank report in September 2012 assessed that recent political changes will be meaningful if they lead to concrete social and economic development," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal