New WA regimes will not have adverse impact on ties: Hamid Ansari
Bangalore: Vice President Hamid Ansari has said the new regimes in some West Asian countries would not have an adverse impact on India`s bilateral ties but "hard economic and geo-political interests" would ensure harmonious relationships.
"Barring a serious divergence of views on questions of our national interest, therefore, the new regimes in these countries would not have an adverse impact on our bilateral relations. On the contrary, hard economic and geo-political interests would ensure harmonious relationships," Ansari said.
He was addressing the Asia Centre Annual Lecture on "What Might Be Happening in West Asia" here last evening.
A change of regime would not impact on India`s perceptions since its practice does not admit of regime recognition nor is India generally given to pronouncement of value judgements on the domestic setup of other countries unless such a step is motivated by more compelling considerations of statecraft, the Vice President said.
“In the final analysis therefore the changes, voluntary and expressive of popular will, are to be welcomed,” he said.
The challenge for contemporary Muslim societies, in the wake of the upsurge against autocratic governance, is to seek legitimacy both in the light of their own cultural authenticity and the norms of contemporary world, he added.
Ansari said high unemployment among youth and declining household incomes has been a common factor of social unrest in all the affected countries.
"A World Bank report in September 2012 assessed that recent political changes will be meaningful if they lead to concrete social and economic development," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview