No contradiction in being pro-biz,pro-poor: Jaitley`s FB update
New Delhi: Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Monday changed the cover photo on his Facebook profile and added a new slogan saying there is no contradiction between being "pro-business and pro-poor".
"Unless government gets revenue, it cannot build infrastructure and service the welfare schemes for the poor. By being pro-business and pro-poor, I am not contradicting but both have to exist at the same time," read his new updated Facebook cover photo.
Replying to a debate on Budget 2014-15 in Parliament in July, Jaitley had said government wanted to be both pro-business and pro-poor by bringing in civility in tax regime, maintaining low rates, rationalising subsidy system and boosting infrastructure and housing.
He said that being pro-business was necessary for generating more revenues and increasing spending that would benefit the poor and marginalised sections of the society through social sector programmes.
He also promised to take a series of steps besides the Budgetary provisions for sustainable growth amid indications of some recovery.
He stressed that being pro-business and pro-poor were not contradictory and the country needs investment to strenghten the economy.
Jaitley also said he preferred low taxes to encourage economic activity.
"If you put higher taxes on products, people will buy products from outside. Lower taxes will increase economic activities," he had said in the Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what