Jaipur: The Gujjar agitation over demand of five per cent reservation entered its 14th day on Sunday.
Gujjar leader Kirori Singh Bainsla refused to attend a fresh invitation for talks, saying he first wants to know the outcome of talks between Congress leaders of his community and the Rajasthan government.
"I am waiting for their response and a decision would be taken accordingly," he told reporters.
On Saturday, state Energy Minister Jitendra Singh held a meeting with local Congress leaders from the community and Union Minister of State Sachin Pilot.
Singh said that the government has already offered what it could within the limits of the Constitution and was fully committed to give reservation to the community.
On the other hand, Bainsla said he had not received any feedback on the meeting and was waiting for it to decide his future course of action.
Meanwhile, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot ruled their demand for five per cent reservation, saying the government will work according to the guidelines of the High Court.
"The government will not bring new reservation bill in the Assembly while it will work according to the guidelines of the High Court," said Gehlot.
Gujjars stepped up their agitation following a Rajasthan High Court order, which ruled that members of the community could not be given special reservation in government jobs.
The agitation, which began in 2007, has claimed over 70 lives so far.
A year ago, Gujjars in Rajasthan fought police and members of another caste that already qualified for job reservations.
After the protests, the state government said it would spend Rs 2.8 billion on improving schools, clinics, roads and other infrastructure in Gujjar areas. But Gujjars rejected this option.