Zee Media Bureau
Ayodhya: Following Supreme Court’s 19 year-old order, the district administration here didn’t allow any religious activity at the disputed site in Ayodhya on Ram Navami.
According to the SC order, court appointed priest, Acharya Satyender Das, is the only one allowed to perform religious activities on the 67 acre land, which had been taken over by the Centre.
However, for the last 19 years, locals associated with the Ram Janma Bhoomi Seva Samiti have been performing prayers at the disputed site on Ram Navami.
On January 28, 2013, Supreme Court had ordered status quo on 67 acre land adjacent to the disputed site here and restrained any kind of religious activity in the area.
Earlier this week, District Magistrate Faizabad Vipin Kumar Dwivedi told a news agency, "We will ensure that no religious sentiments are hurt. But, we will abide by the Supreme Court`s orders and maintain status quo, as defined in various judgements."
This year there was strong opposition from the oldest litigant of Babri Masjid case, Hashim Ansari.
"We were objecting violation of the court`s orders for the last 19 years, and, this time, we approached the observers appointed by Supreme Court," said Khaliq Ahmad Khan, a petitioner in the case.