No report of infiltration, BSF asked to be alert: Goswami
Jammu: Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami on Friday said there was no report of infiltration along the International Border in Jammu sector and asserted that BSF was always alert and guarding the border in the best possible way.
"BSF have been asked to be alert all the time and maintain vigilance. This is their mandate and they are doing it in the best possible way," Goswami said, adding, that there was no report of any possible infiltration via the IB.
Goswami accompanied by senior officials from the Ministry of Home Affairs reviewed the security situation at the Border Out Posts (BoPs) along IB in the R S Pura border belt of Jammu district. Senior officers of Jammu frontier led by IG BSF, S S Tomar were also present.
Asked about the fear psychosis generated among troops due to the recent killings by sniper firing, Goswami said, "I have met jawans and found their morale is high...They are guarding the border with vigilance and alertness."
The Home Secretary said this was a ground assessment visit and the decision regarding the next step would be taken after a meeting with senior defence officers from New Delhi, including the Joint Secretary dealing with border management.
He, however, dismissed reports of Central Intelligence agencies holding Bajrang Dal activists responsible for the Kishtwar communal clashes.
"I have not seen this report..I do not have any knowledge about any such report," Goswami said.
Pakistan has violated the ceasefire agreement 11 times in the past six days.
Two jawans were critically wounded when they were hit by sniper firing from across the border this month. While one BSF jawan died, another one is battling for life.
On August 6, a group of 20 armed men led by Pakistani troops had entered the Indian territory in Poonch and ambushed a patrol, killing five Indian jawans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore