Opposition slams govt, but won`t boycott Parliament
New Delhi: Despite being peeved over the "attitude of the Congress" in Parliament which was paralysed over the detention of Anna Hazare, Opposition leaders, Tuesday, decided to not to boycott the Parliament.
A decision to this effect was taken at a meeting of the Opposition parties. It has been decided that they will protest against the government inside and outside the Parliament.
The Opposition condemned the Congress "attitude", saying the ruling party did not allow any discussion on the arrest of Anna Hazare and others.
Earlier, CPI(M) leader Brinda Karat came down heavily on the Congress, saying Hazare`s arrest was "a strong attack on democratic rights. ... I believe it also reflects the Congress party`s refusal to tolerate any movement against corruption.
Maintaining that it was decided that all parties would be allowed to have their say on the issue, Karat said, "It was the Congress which disrupted Parliament today. They should not have done it. They should have allowed the decision to reach the Chairman`s chamber to allow all parties to express their views for or against Anna`s arrest."
BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad also condemned the Congress "behaviour", saying "they do not want anyone to speak outside Parliament and also obstruct speaking inside Parliament for the sake of defending their acts of corruption".
Accusing Congress members of not allowing Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley to speak by shouting him down, Karat said, "The ruling party obviously found it embarrassing for anybody to speak in a voice other than their own".
Asked whether Hazare`s arrest reflected an "emergency- like situation", the CPI(M) leader said it was a "strong attack on democratic rights. ... We don`t agree on several counts with Anna Hazare but we cannot tolerate such a move.
"This country has a Constitution, there are democratic rights and as long as there is a peaceful protest, you cannot ban it", she said.
Prasad said it was "indeed a very shocking behaviour today on the part of the ruling party inside Parliament, particularly in Rajya Sabha", accusing the treasury benches of disallowing Jaitley from speaking.
In the same vein, CPI National Secretary D Raja said, "Today it was the Congress which disrupted the House. Why should the government undermine the political process, undermine the political parties? Anna Hazare`s arrest is a matter of public importance".
He said the Left parties may not agree with Hazare on many counts, but that does not mean such "anti-democratic" steps should be taken by the government to arrest him and his followers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt