PAC set to reopen 2G scam examination
New Delhi: Parliament`s Public Accounts Committee is all set to reopen examination of the CAG report on the 2G scam by calling an official who had conducted audit of the controversial allocation of airwaves in 2008.
The PAC has decided to call RP Singh, former Director General of Audit (Post and Telecommunications), at its next meeting as a witness. The Committee is expected to question him on the methods he used to estimate the losses in the 2G spectrum allocation.
PAC chairman Murli Manohar Joshi gave this ruling at a meeting of the Committee today after Congress member Sanjay Nirupam pointed to media reports which stated that the CAG had overruled a junior official in estimation of losses in the 2G scam.
Singh retired from the post on August 31. CAG Vinod Rai and Deputy CAG Rekha Gupta have also been asked to explain to the Committee the methodology used for calculating the 2G losses.
RTI queries have revealed that Singh, in internal communications, had pegged the 2G losses at Rs 2,645 crore, much less than the presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore stated by the CAG in its report.
Nirupam, in a letter to Joshi, had said that the questioning of CAG officials should be the sole agenda for the meeting to allow members of the committee to "comprehend" the matter and decide on the future course of action.
The PAC draft report on 2G scam had criticised the then Finance Minister P Chidambaram and raised questions on the PMO`s first-come first-serve basis policy in allocating the radiowaves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price