PAC set to reopen 2G scam examination
New Delhi: Parliament`s Public Accounts Committee is all set to reopen examination of the CAG report on the 2G scam by calling an official who had conducted audit of the controversial allocation of airwaves in 2008.
The PAC has decided to call RP Singh, former Director General of Audit (Post and Telecommunications), at its next meeting as a witness. The Committee is expected to question him on the methods he used to estimate the losses in the 2G spectrum allocation.
PAC chairman Murli Manohar Joshi gave this ruling at a meeting of the Committee today after Congress member Sanjay Nirupam pointed to media reports which stated that the CAG had overruled a junior official in estimation of losses in the 2G scam.
Singh retired from the post on August 31. CAG Vinod Rai and Deputy CAG Rekha Gupta have also been asked to explain to the Committee the methodology used for calculating the 2G losses.
RTI queries have revealed that Singh, in internal communications, had pegged the 2G losses at Rs 2,645 crore, much less than the presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore stated by the CAG in its report.
Nirupam, in a letter to Joshi, had said that the questioning of CAG officials should be the sole agenda for the meeting to allow members of the committee to "comprehend" the matter and decide on the future course of action.
The PAC draft report on 2G scam had criticised the then Finance Minister P Chidambaram and raised questions on the PMO`s first-come first-serve basis policy in allocating the radiowaves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in