`Pak authorities fail to provide Sarabjit security`
Lahore: Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh had spoken of a threat to his life from a fellow prisoner after the execution in India of Afzal Guru but Pakistani authorities failed to provide him adequate security, his lawyer said Friday.
"Sarabjit told me and a CID (Crime Investigation Department) official after the execution of Afzal Guru that a prisoner in Kot Lakhpat Jail had issued death threats. I brought this to the knowledge of prison authorities and the Punjab Home Department but they did not beef up his security," Awais Sheikh, Sarabjit`s counsel, said.
The execution earlier this year of Guru, convicted of involvement in a 2001 terrorist attack on the Indian parliament, had triggered protests across Pakistan.
Several jihadi groups like the Lashkar-e-Taiba had pledged to avenge Guru`s death.
When Chambail Singh, another Indian prisoner in Kot Lakhpat Jail, died after allegedly being assaulted by prison staff in January, Sheikh filed an application in the Lahore High Court seeking stringent security for Sarabjit.
"The jail authorities are responsible for the attack on Sarabjit. Where were the jail staff when he was attacked?" Sheikh said.
Leading rights activist Ansar Burney too said that he had
written to the President, Prime Minister and federal Interior Ministry in January to increase security for Sarabjit after Chamel Singh`s death.
"There were serious threats to Sarabjit. After Chamel Singh`s death, I alerted authorities that he may be in danger," Burney said.
"This was a murderous attack and the outcome of a conspiracy. How can a death row prisoner, who is held in strict security, be attacked?" he questioned.
Burney, who frequently visits jails across Pakistan to take up the issues of inmates, described the section of Kot Lakhpat Jail where Sarabjit was being held as a "jail within a jail".
He said, "Where did the other prisoners get the bricks and blades that they used to attack Sarabjit?"
Burney said he believed that the conspiracy to target Sarabjit might have its roots in the "Talibanisation" creeping across Pakistan.
"Look at the upcoming polls, political parties are campaigning only in Punjab because of threats from militants. The Chief Justice is too busy with all kinds of things and doesn`t even take up the issue of prisoners," he said.
He said he planned to approach the President with a fresh petition seeking Sarabjit`s release and repatriation.
"Sarabjit has already served 23 years in jail, which is equivalent to a life sentence. He cannot be hanged now. In view of the threat to his life, he should be freed and sent back to India," Burney said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'