Pak lie exposed: Babur did ram into INS Godavari
New Delhi: Video doesn’t lie. Pakistan Navy’s version of the “accident” in the high seas of Gulf of Eden between its warship PNS Babur and INS Godavari has turned out to be false after a video posted on a video sharing website shows the Pakistani ship ramming into Godavari during the rescue of hostages on-board merchant vessel MV Suez in June.
The video, which appears to have been filmed by a Pakistan sailor onboard PNS Babur, shows his ship brushing against INS Godavari in high sea. The video also depicts Pakistani sailors shouting anti-India slogans and sneering at Indian sailors.
A helicopter net on the Indian warship was damaged as a result of the collision that occurred in mid June. PNS Babur was escorting Egyptian merchant vessel MV Suez, which was released several months after having been held hostage by Somali pirates.
Godavari was also on anti-piracy duty, it was sent to the Gulf of Aden region to reassure Indian sailors who were on board the merchant vessel and those taken hostage by the pirates.
The issue had caused diplomatic tensions between the two neighbours.
INS Godavari alone has escorted 219 ships of different countries through the Gulf of Aden since May 25.
In all, since October 2008, Indian warships have ensured the safe passage of 1,665 ships — only around 190 of them flew the Indian flag — from around 50 countries through the piracy-infested Gulf of Aden.
Defence Minister AK Antony had on Monday informed the Parliament on the stand-off between India and Pakistani Naval ships. He said that a protest was lodged with the Pakistan government through the High Commission here against the violation of relevant regulations of navigational safety by the Pakistani side.
"While carrying out anti-piracy patrol, INS Godavari on coming close to MV Suez, which had earlier been hijacked, tried to establish communication to ascertain safety of crew," the Defence Minister had said.
"But PNS Babur closed INS Godavari at high speed from astern and carried out a manoeuvre in gross violation of relevant regulations on navigational safety and in the process touched Godavari, marginally damaging the extended safety net on the helicopter deck," Antony said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy