Pak lie exposed: Babur did ram into INS Godavari
New Delhi: Video doesn’t lie. Pakistan Navy’s version of the “accident” in the high seas of Gulf of Eden between its warship PNS Babur and INS Godavari has turned out to be false after a video posted on a video sharing website shows the Pakistani ship ramming into Godavari during the rescue of hostages on-board merchant vessel MV Suez in June.
The video, which appears to have been filmed by a Pakistan sailor onboard PNS Babur, shows his ship brushing against INS Godavari in high sea. The video also depicts Pakistani sailors shouting anti-India slogans and sneering at Indian sailors.
A helicopter net on the Indian warship was damaged as a result of the collision that occurred in mid June. PNS Babur was escorting Egyptian merchant vessel MV Suez, which was released several months after having been held hostage by Somali pirates.
Godavari was also on anti-piracy duty, it was sent to the Gulf of Aden region to reassure Indian sailors who were on board the merchant vessel and those taken hostage by the pirates.
The issue had caused diplomatic tensions between the two neighbours.
INS Godavari alone has escorted 219 ships of different countries through the Gulf of Aden since May 25.
In all, since October 2008, Indian warships have ensured the safe passage of 1,665 ships — only around 190 of them flew the Indian flag — from around 50 countries through the piracy-infested Gulf of Aden.
Defence Minister AK Antony had on Monday informed the Parliament on the stand-off between India and Pakistani Naval ships. He said that a protest was lodged with the Pakistan government through the High Commission here against the violation of relevant regulations of navigational safety by the Pakistani side.
"While carrying out anti-piracy patrol, INS Godavari on coming close to MV Suez, which had earlier been hijacked, tried to establish communication to ascertain safety of crew," the Defence Minister had said.
"But PNS Babur closed INS Godavari at high speed from astern and carried out a manoeuvre in gross violation of relevant regulations on navigational safety and in the process touched Godavari, marginally damaging the extended safety net on the helicopter deck," Antony said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal