Pakistan has not yet granted MFN status to India: Govt
New Delhi: The government on Monday said Pakistan has not adhered to the deadline for according the Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to India.
"It was expected that the complete phasing out of the negative list before the end of 2012 would complete the transition to MFN status to India by Pakistan. But this deadline of MFN status has not been adhered to by Pakistan," Minister of State for Commerce and Industry D Purandeswari said in a written reply to the Lok Sabha.
On the other hand, India has granted MFN status to Pakistan way back in 1996.
Under the negative list regime, Pakistan has permitted imports from India of all but 1,200 items.
However, Purandeswari said that both sides have made considerable progress in improving bilateral trade ties.
"Pakistan has moved from a positive list regime to a negative list regime, which substantially increases the tradable items from India. India has similarly liberalised its earlier restrictions on inward/outward investment flows to Pakistan," she added
The bilateral trade between the nations stood at USD 2.35 billion in 2012-13, as against USD USD 1.93 billion in the previous fiscal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened