Pakistan Interior Minister likely to visit India on November 22-23
New Delhi: Pakistan`s Interior Minister Rehman Malik is likely to visit India on November 22-23 for operationalisation of the landmark Indo-Pak visa agreement.
This was indicated by Malik to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde when they had met in Rome on the sidelines of the Interpol General Assembly.
During his visit, Rehman is also expected to visit Agra to see the Taj Mahal.
The new liberalised Indo-Pak visa pact replaces a 38-year-old restrictive visa agreement and paves the way for time-bound visa approval and greater people-to-people contact and trade.
The visa agreement, signed by then Indian External Affairs Minister S M Krishna and Malik in Islamabad on September 8, eases curbs on issuing visas to traders, elderly people, tourists, pilgrims, members of civil society and children.
Both the countries are also willing to operationalise the new visa regime before the upcoming Indo-Pak limited over cricket series beginning December 25.
While there was no time-frame for issuance of non-diplomatic visas, the new pact says visa has to be issued with a period of not exceeding 45 days of application.
Under the new regime, one can visit five places, instead of the three at present, and those above 65 years of age and children below 12 years of age and "eminent" businessmen are exempted from reporting to the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31