Pakistani panel calls for ban on ads with Indian models
Islamabad: A Pakistani parliamentary panel called for a ban on advertisements featuring Indian models and suggested that it should be mandatory for female anchors on news channels to cover their heads with a dupatta.
The suggestion was made by the Standing Committee for Information and Broadcasting of the National Assembly or lower house of parliament during a meeting attended by Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira.
Reacting to the panel`s call to ban advertisements featuring Indian models, Kaira said the issue was in court and it would be better to wait for the judiciary`s decision. He agreed with the panel`s members that local culture should be promoted as Pakistan has a rich heritage.
Indian stars like Shah Rukh Khan, Katrina Kaif, Kajol, Shilpa Shetty and Kareena Kapoor appear in advertisements for various products beamed on Pakistani channels.
Kaira said during the parliamentary panel`s meeting that Pakistan had conveyed to the Indian government at many forums that it is allowing the screening of Indian channels and films, but the move had not been reciprocated by India.
Pakistan is a responsible country and due to this strategy, relations with India had improved, he said.
Kaira further said the whole country is facing terrorism and everyone would have to fight this mindset with unity. He said there is a dire need to promote a culture of tolerance in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read