Panchayati Raj institutions to play active role in UID
New Delhi: Panchayati Raj institutions will
be active partners in the ambitious Unique Identification
The Ministry of Panchayati Raj and Unique Identification
Authority of India have agreed to work together in ensuring
organic linkages of Panchayati Raj institutions in the UID
Mission on a continuing basis.
The linkages will not only be for enrolments at the
initial stage but also for authentication and subsequent
applications in providing better and accountable local
In a joint statement released by the Ministry and the
UIDAI, they said the panchayats have a role in both planning
and implementing some of the major programmes.
There are 28,18,290 elected representatives of panchayats
at all three levels in 23 states and six union territories, of
whom 10,39,058 are women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- 2nd T20I: India vs South Africa - Preview