Parliament adjourned as no option left: Speaker
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Wednesday justified the sudden adjournment of Parliament, saying there was no option as it was not running. She said the disturbances created by MPs in the House amounted to betrayal of the people who have elected them.
"The House should run, the House should always run. There should not be any disturbance for any reason. It is betrayal of the trust of the people who have elected their representatives," she told reporters after Parliament was adjourned sine die.
To a poser on as to why the House was adjourned two days before schedule, Kumar said, "Because the House was not running."
With the sudden curtailment of the budget session, key legislations like the National Food Security Bill and the Land Acquisition Bill could not be passed.
The only business that was transacted was passage of the Finance Bill marking the completion of the Budgetary exercise and the Railway Budget without any discussion after walkout by the Opposition.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels