Peeved SP says support to govt to continue
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party on Thursday made it clear that it will continue to support UPA government notwithstanding strong action taken against its members in Rajya sabha when they were protesting against consideration of a quota bill.
"There is no relation between today`s event in Rajya Sabha and continuance of our support," party leader Ram Gopal Yadav told reporters outside Parliament House. SP has nine members in the Upper House.
His comments came soon after the party`s walk out from Rajya Sabha following a directive from the Chair to two of its members to leave the House for causing disruption over a bill that seeks to provide reservation in promotion for SC/STs in government jobs.
Describing the day as a "black day in the parliamentary democracy", Yadav said his party has been protesting against the bill right from the beginning, but could not make a mark in the House today as other parties also colluded to back the measure.
"The bill is an unconstitutional one. But, the government is adamant to pass the bill. It is not in interest of the people. Different parties decided to pass the bill. We had been protesting from the beginning and our members were withdrawan one by one," he said.
Yadav also took strong exception to Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath`s statement in the House that all members from SP should be withdrwan in case they continue to shouting slogans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack