Petrol price hike to hit common man: Yechury
Shimla: Communist Party of India-Marxist leader Sitaram Yechury on Thursday attacked the central government for a sharp hike in petrol prices, saying it would hit the common man.
"The unexpected hike in petrol prices is not justified at a time when the international prices of crude oil are falling," he said here.
Yechury was here to campaign for the party`s candidates for the Shimla Municipal Corporation elections slated for May 27.
Petrol prices have gone up by Rs.7.50 a litre.
The Left parties have condemned the petrol price hike as "a savage attack" on people and announced a nationwide protest on May 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender