Planning Commission organises Twitter conference on Mahatma Gandhi
New Delhi: The Planning Commission has organized a global Twitter conference to discuss the life and message of Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi to mark his 144th birth anniversary celebrations.
Sam Pitroda, Chairman National Innovation Council and the Adviser to the Prime Minister on Public Information Infrastructure to Improve Governance and Public Services, will lead it from his Twitter handle @pitrodasam (www.twitter.com/pitrodasam).
The Twitter conference to be held between 7.00 pm and 8.00 pm today is open to everyone. The hash tag for the conference is #Gandhi.
The Twitter conference is expected to be joined by Kartikeya Sarabhai, Trustee of Sabarmati Ashram, other Gandhians and several other people from world over.
The Prime Minister had recently launched a Gandhi Heritage Portal and it is now available at www.gandhiheritageportal.org. The Portal developed by the Sabarmati Ashram under the aegis of the Ministry of Culture, Government of India hosts Gandhiji`s Autobiography in 22 languages.
It also has placed the `Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi` in three languages: English 100 volumes, Hindi 97 volumes and Gujarati 82 volumes. In all, the Portal presents more than 5 lakh pages, 21 films, 72 audio speeches of Gandhiji and over a 1000 photographs.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, better known as `Bapu`, or Gandhiji, was born on October 2, 1869, in Porbander, Gujarat.
Gandhiji was a preacher of truth (Satyagraha) and `ahimsa` (non-violence). He started the `Satyagraha` movement for the Indian freedom struggle. He believed in living a simple life and in `Swadeshi`.
He proved to the world that freedom can be achieved through the path of non-violence - a true symbol of peace and truth!
The United Nations had declared in 2007 that October 2 would be observed as `International Day of Non-Violence`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest