Planning Commission organises Twitter conference on Mahatma Gandhi
New Delhi: The Planning Commission has organized a global Twitter conference to discuss the life and message of Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi to mark his 144th birth anniversary celebrations.
Sam Pitroda, Chairman National Innovation Council and the Adviser to the Prime Minister on Public Information Infrastructure to Improve Governance and Public Services, will lead it from his Twitter handle @pitrodasam (www.twitter.com/pitrodasam).
The Twitter conference to be held between 7.00 pm and 8.00 pm today is open to everyone. The hash tag for the conference is #Gandhi.
The Twitter conference is expected to be joined by Kartikeya Sarabhai, Trustee of Sabarmati Ashram, other Gandhians and several other people from world over.
The Prime Minister had recently launched a Gandhi Heritage Portal and it is now available at www.gandhiheritageportal.org. The Portal developed by the Sabarmati Ashram under the aegis of the Ministry of Culture, Government of India hosts Gandhiji`s Autobiography in 22 languages.
It also has placed the `Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi` in three languages: English 100 volumes, Hindi 97 volumes and Gujarati 82 volumes. In all, the Portal presents more than 5 lakh pages, 21 films, 72 audio speeches of Gandhiji and over a 1000 photographs.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, better known as `Bapu`, or Gandhiji, was born on October 2, 1869, in Porbander, Gujarat.
Gandhiji was a preacher of truth (Satyagraha) and `ahimsa` (non-violence). He started the `Satyagraha` movement for the Indian freedom struggle. He believed in living a simple life and in `Swadeshi`.
He proved to the world that freedom can be achieved through the path of non-violence - a true symbol of peace and truth!
The United Nations had declared in 2007 that October 2 would be observed as `International Day of Non-Violence`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued