PM appeals to trade unions to call off strike, offers talks
New Delhi: Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh has offered talks and appealed to trade unions to withdraw their proposed two-day countrywide strike from February 20.
"I appeal to the central trade unions to withdraw their call for countrywide general strike on February 20 and 21. Such a strike would lead to avoidable loss to our economy and inconvenience to the public through disruption of services," Dr Singh said in his message.
Dr Singh also pointed out that some of the issues raised by the trade unions are already being acted upon and others are at various stages of consideration.
"While some of the issues raised by the trade unions are already being acted upon and others are at various stages of consideration, I have requested my senior Cabinet colleagues A K Antony, Sharad Pawar, P Chidambaram and Mallikarjun Kharge to together hold discussions with the leaders of the Trade Unions," he added.
He expressed confidence that the discussions will result in the course of action that is acceptable to both the trade unions and the government.
Central trade unions and federations of workers have called for a two-day nationwide strike starting from February 20 against price-rise and "violation of labour laws".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!