PM expresses grief over loss of lives in train accident
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday expressed grief over the loss of lives in the Hampi Express train accident near Penukonda in the Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh.
In his message Singh said, "I am grieved over the tragic loss of lives. I extend my heartfelt condolences to all those who have lost their near and dear ones in the accident and wish a speedy recovery to those injured."
At least 25 passengers were killed and 43 injured when the Bangalore-bound Hampi Express rammed into a stationary goods train at 0315 hours after its driver apparently overshot the signal near the station here in the wee hours today.
Due to the impact of the collision four bogies of the express train derailed and one of them caught fire near Penukonda station in Andhra Pradesh coming under Bangalore division of South Western Railway.
Most of the victims were labourers coming from Hubli and Hospet in Karnataka and were on their way to Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you