PM hopes new mechanism on border with China will bear results soon
On Board PM`s Special Plane: Sounding
optimistic on the India-China relations after his meeting with
President Hu Jintao earlier this week, Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh on Saturday night expressed hope that the decision to set up a new
bilateral mechanism on border management would bear "concrete
results" in the near future.
Giving a sense of the meeting with Hu on Wednesday in
Sanya, China, Singh said they had talked about a wide-range of
issues, including trade imbalance and the Chinese President
had agreed that his country too has a "responsibility" to deal
with the problem.
"It was a very cordial meeting. We discussed bilateral
issues and trade imbalance. We also discussed other relevant
issues to international situation and possibility of
cooperation between our two countries in international fora
like G-20, WTO and UN Security Council," he told accompanying
journalists while returning from a five-day two-nation tour of
China and Kazakhstan.
Singh and Hu met on the sidelines of the Brazil-Russia-
India-China-South Africa (BRICS) Summit and among its
significant outcomes were the decision to send a high-level
Indian military delegation to China and setting up of a new
mechanism for managing peace on the borders.
With regard to defence exchanges which are set to be
resumed after a pause of about nine months, Singh said, "my
expectation is that they will be continued."
India had suspended high-level defence exchanges in July
last year after China refused proper visa to the then Northern
Army Commander Lt Gen B S Jaswal as he was serving in Jammu
and Kashmir. This was seen by India as questioning its
About the new mechanism for border management, Singh said
it was Chinese proposal made during the visit of Premier Wen
Jiabao to New Delhi in December last.
"This is work in progress. I hope some concrete results
will be visible in the near future," he remarked.
On the issue of growing trade imbalance in favour of
China, Singh said he had raised the issue with Hu, saying that
India imports goods and services which gives rise to the
imbalance and the Chinese President recognised that it was a
Referring to India`s desire for greater access to Chinese
markets, the Prime Minister said he had specifically mentioned
two areas - pharmaceutical industry and IT -- where Chinese
could do more.
"I can`t say he (Hu) did say precisely about these two
areas but he did say that he recognises that China also has a
responsibility to tackle the problem of trade imbalance,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe