PM meets national award winning teachers
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh met the recipients of the National Awards 2010 for Teachers on the occasion of Teachers` Day on Monday, and congratulated them for their efforts towards transforming the lives of children.
A total of 301 teachers from across the country received the awards from President Pratibha Patil on Monday.
"I started my career as a teacher and teaching has always been very close to my heart. I am, therefore, especially happy to have this opportunity to meet the outstanding teachers who were honoured today for their meritorious services and contribution to the cause of school education," the Prime Minister said.
Talking about the Right to Education act, he said the legislation has the potential to "transform our schools and the lives of our children".
"The implementation of this legislation is not just a matter of providing more resources, it is the dedication and commitment of our teachers that will ultimately help us to achieve its goals and objectives," he added.
Talking about future challenges, he said: "In the coming time, more and more children with diverse backgrounds will enter the school system. Your challenge, therefore, will be to work towards a democratic classroom in which all children participate in the learning processes as equal partners."
"While educating our children and young adults, we must maintain a balance between tradition and modernity. As teachers, you will need to ensure that our unique cultural heritage is preserved while preparing the children for global citizenship," he added.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India will be 'Congress-free' if BJP keeps nation 'drought-free': Sanjay Raut
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Parent firm Finmeccanica yet to be formally blacklisted, says report
- PCB clears Younis Khan after accepting his apology
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net for Chhattisgarh Board CGBSE 10th X Class High School (HS) Exam Results 2016
- #CongressPlanningRiots is trending on Twitter. Here's why