Police reminds media of guidelines issued for reporting
Bangalore: Police thursday reminded the press and electronic media of the government guidelines for reporting crime news in the backdrop of leakage of sensitive information and publication of certain unauthenticated reports.
The guidelines were issued to prevent any distortion of facts or causing a dent to the dignity of persons, accused and the witnesses, a police statement said.
A July 21 2011 government circular released to the press today said an official shall be drafted to share information with the press and electronic media in every district and city commissionerates.
However,while giving such information,it should be ensured that fundamental rights of the citizens under Article 19 and 21 of the Constitution are not violated. Only public documents and those not coming under the 8th schedule of the RTI Act could be shared, the guidelines said.
The directions of courts or that of any tribunals shall not be violated, it said.
The identity of juvenile offenders and victims of sexual abuse shall be protected.
Sharing of such information shall not affect directly or indirectly any probe and the officer designated shall not give his personal opinion.
In case the media distorts information given by the designated officer, action shall be initiated against such media persons.
The methodology used in investigation and the technology deployed to nab the accused shall not be disclosed.
Issues pertaining to national security and to foreign nations shall not be shared by the persons who do not have the authority to disclose such information.
Any lapse on the part of officers shall be viewed as dereliction of duty and action initiated against them, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi