President Patil wraps up Seychelles visit
Victoria: President Pratibha Patil today left for South Africa on the second leg of her nine-day tour after concluding her "landmark" visit to Seychelles which hailed India`s support in tackling piracy and thanked New Delhi for extending a USD 75 million financial package for it.
Seychelles President James Michel, who hosted a Cocktail Dinatoire in Patil`s honour last evening, said that whether it be in terms of defending the peace and security of "our ocean against pirates, or in strengthening our ability to empower the economic potential of our respective peoples, Seychelles and India have shown we can act together decisively".
"We thank India for her support in patrolling our waters, in assisting in air surveillance and not least, the positioning of an advanced radar system to ensure that our ocean becomes once again a space for development, and not a highway of anarchy," he said.
Asserting that India and Seychelles stand firm in the face of the "scourge" of piracy, he said: "We all know that this ocean is vast - and pirates have used this size as their weapon. But we know that our partnership and friendship are enduring and can provide the determination to overcome such challenges."
Describing the visit of Patil, the second Presidential tour in 22 years as "landmark", he said in these times of uncertainty, India`s robust performance in the global economy has been further underlined.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp