President, PM condole Manna Dey`s death
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday condoled the death of legendary singer Manna Dey.
In a condolence message to the singer`s daughter Sumita Deb, the President said: "In the passing away of Manna Dey, the nation has lost a veteran playback singer, a versatile artist of extraordinary ability, and a creative genius who mesmerised listeners with his enchanting voice."
"The unique style of singing of this multi-talented singer shall always be remembered. The melodious songs sung in several languages that he has left behind will continue to enthral music lovers forever," he said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said: "I am deeply saddened to hear of the demise of the king of melody Manna Dey. An accomplished singer with a unique voice, he was multi-talented and excelled in Rabindra Sangeet and various other forms of popular music."
Vice President M Hamid Ansari said: "We have lost an outstanding singer whose versatility and creative performances will be remembered for a very long time to come. With his departure, an era has ended and the music world finds itself poorer today."
Manna Dey died in the early hours of Thursday at Narayan Hospital in Bangalore after a prolonged illness. The multi-lingual singer was ailing for four months. He was 94.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video