Prez poll: HC grants interim bail to Jagir Kaur
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Wednesday granted a day`s interim bail to jailed senior SAD leader and MLA, Bibi Jagir Kaur, to enable her to vote in the Presidential poll to be held tomorrow.
Kaur is lodged in Kapurthala prison in connection with her daughter`s abduction and forcible abortion case.
Earlier, the High Court had issued a notice to the CBI for today after Kaur had sought two days` interim bail for voting.
CBI counsel R K Handa opposed the bail application of Jagir Kaur, but the court allowed her interim bail.
While opposing the bail plea, the CBI brought to the notice of the court the media reports that pointed to bestowing of a Siropa (robe of honour) by Bibi Jagir Kaur, on Jagjit Singh, IG (Jails).
Justice A K Mittal and G S Sandhawala further directed Jagir Kaur to furnish a bail bond to the satisfaction of Chief Judicial Magistrate at Jalandhar after which she will be released from prison.
The court also directed her to surrender before Kapurthala Jail Superintendent on or before 6 pm tomorrow.
57-year-old Kaur, a SAD MLA had resigned as Punjab Cabinet Minister in March following her conviction.
She was sent to jail after she was convicted and sentenced to five years imprisonment by a CBI court for conspiring in forcible abortion and abduction in connection with the mysterious death of her teenage daughter Harpreet Kaur 12 years ago.
The main case against Jagir Kaur will now come up on August 21. The High Court today also summoned record of the trial (CBI) court in the case.
Kaur was the lone woman member in the 18-member Parkash Singh Badal-led SAD-BJP ministry which was sworn in March this year.
Kaur, who resigned as Minister on moral grounds, was, however, acquitted of murder charges in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...