Prez Pranab leaves on three-day visit to Mauritius
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee Monday left for Mauritius on a three-day visit during which he will be the chief guest at the national day celebrations of that country.
Mauritius will celebrate its national day on Tuesday.
India and Mauritius will also sign several bilateral pacts in social sectors, including health and tourism, during Mukherjee`s visit to the Indian Ocean island nation.
India and Mauritius enjoy close historical relations and New Delhi has termed the ties as "unique, special and extra ordinary".
India gives highest importance to its relations with Mauritius as 70 per cent of its people are Indian origin and 38 per cent its Foreign Direct Investment comes from that country, in addition to its geo strategic location, Secretary (West) in the Ministry of External Affairs Sudhir Vyas has said.
During his visit, Mukherjee will have meetings with Mauritius President Rajkeswur Purryag, Prime Minister Navin C Ramgoolam, Speaker of the National Assembly Abdool Razack Peeroo, Chief Justice Y. K. J. Yeung Sik Yuen and Leader of the Opposition Paul B?renger.
President`s Press Secretary Venu Rajamony has said the President was looking forward for the visit and greatly honoured to be chief guest at the national day celebration of Mauritius.
Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Union minister Farooq Abdullah and the three service chiefs were at the Rashtrapati Bhawan earlier this morning to see off the President.
This is Mukherjee`s second visit abroad after assuming the office of President. Last week, he had visited Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city