Prez Pranab receives rakhis, says make women feel safe
New Delhi: Using the occasion of Raksha Bandhan, President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday sent a strong message on the need to ensure that women in the country felt safe and secure at all times.
Pranab Da, as he is fondly called, also said that abhorrent practices such as female foeticide and dowry deaths should be brought to an end.
Nine day into Mukherjee`s Presidency, Rashtrapati Bhavan opened its doors for children from various schools and social organizations who tied the sacred thread `rakhi` on his wrist and sought his blessings.
Dressed in colourful attire and some in school uniform, the enthusiastic young girls wanted to have their photographs taken with the President who readily obliged them.
The students sang songs and recited poems as they interacted with the President and tied rakhis on him.
In a brief address, Mukherjee urged people to re-double their efforts for the protection and welfare of women.
"We must ensure that the women of our country feel safe and secure at all times. All necessary steps must be taken to ensure that the full rights of women are protected. Abhorrent practices such as female foeticide and dowry deaths should be brought to an end. Further, the welfare of the girl child should be a priority," he said.
The President also reminded his young guests that tying of rakhis is not a mere ritual.
"The Rakhi is a thread of affection that sisters tie on the hands of their brothers. We must remember that this gesture is not a mere ritual, but a powerful act that obligates every man to ensure the safety and security of our women," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days