Prince Charles to build ‘green utopia’ for Indians
London: The Prince of Wales is planning to build a shantytown for 15000 poor people in India inspired by the one he saw in Slumdog Millionaire.
As a part of the plan, schools, shops and 3,000 homes will be built, reports the Daily Mail.
Charles plans to turn a 25-acre expanse of Indian wasteland on the outskirts of either Calcutta or Bangalore into a ‘mini oasis in the desert’ and the development will be modelled on Poundbury, the Dorset model village that has been Prince Charles’s 30-year pet project.
“When you enter what looks from the outside like an immense mound of plastic and rubbish, you immediately come upon an intricate network of streets with miniature shops, houses and workshops, each one made out of any material that comes to hand,” the Daily Mail quoted him as saying.
“We have a great deal to learn about how complex systems can self-organise to create a harmonious whole,” he added.
The new town, for mainly low-caste residents, will be ‘high-density but pleasant’, a spokesman for the prince’s charity said.
It will be designed to collect rainwater, which will be used for showering, washing and in toilets before being recycled to water plants. Shade and natural ventilation will combat temperatures that regularly top 38 degrees Celsius.
And instead of shared sanitation blocks, residents will have individual toilets and waste facilities.
The spokesman said, “India is a rapidly expanding economic power and its housing market is increasingly vibrant.
“The proposed development follows the prince’s vision, and it’s fair to compare it to Poundbury or Knockroon (a second model village planned for Scotland).”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks