Public perception that Govt not serious on corruption: Antony
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of several scams, Defence Minister AK Antony on Wednesday said a perception has evolved in the public that Government was not serious about eradicating corruption from the country.
However, the minister said the Government was making serious efforts to end the menace and this was illustrated by the implementation of the RTI Act which will "make the walls of secrecy crumble and help in eradicating corruption".
"Corruption is a menace... However, despite our serious efforts, the general perception among people is that the Government is not serious about eradicating corruption. However, our Government is serious on this issue and this is illustrated by the RTI Act," he said at a Transparency International event here.
"The RTI Act is still in a nascent stage and I am sure that in few years, the walls of secrecy will crumble in all walks of life. No institution can protect their misdeeds by secrecy because of RTI. This will help in eradicating corruption," Antony said.
In recent times, several scams have rocked the UPA government including the 2G spectrum allocation, coalgate, choppergate and the bribery scandal in the Railways Ministry.
Commenting on the steps taken by the Government to check corruption in the defence sector, he said, "Whenever we receive complaints, we do not throw them in the waste bin. Whenever anyone is found guilty, we take serious action after proper inquiry."
"We cannot ignore any complaints, we do not spare anyone who is guilty. Defence is very open and that is why more complaints are coming in. If somebody does any foul thing, it will immediately come out," the Defence Minister said.
Taking stern action in the corruption allegations involving his Ministry, the Defence Minister had ordered CBI probes in them besides issuing a show cause notice to AgustaWestland company for cancelling its contract soon after serious charges were made in the VVIP chopper deal.
"We have banned middlemen and agents in defence deals to end corruption. One of the major area which is most open in defence where nothing is secret," he said.
Antony said defence procurement is always riddled with controversies and the involvement of the Integrity Pact helps in eradicating corruption there.
"Nothing is permanent, even the Integrity Pact. There are vendors who are finding new tactics to get over from the Integrity Pact and we have to further strengthen the pact to see that there are no loopholes," he said.
The minister also stressed on the need for having the institution of Independent External Monitors in procurements to check corruption.
"We must strengthen the institution of Independent External Monitors to check corruption. IEMs should be experts in respective fields and the CVC has an important role to play in it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly