Purandeswari joins BJP
New Delhi: Former Union minister and TDP founder N T Rama Rao`s daughter D Purandeswari on Friday joined BJP after quitting Congress.
Purandeswari, who joined the party in the presence of former BJP chief M Venkaiah Naidu at his residence, said she wants to contest from the Visakhapatnam Lok Sabha seat.
"Former Union minister D Purandeswari joined the BJP on Friday. I welcome her into the party fold," BJP President Rajnath Singh said after she met him at his residence.
Singh welcomed her into the party fold by presenting her a bouquet of flowers.
Former JD(U) leader and MP from Aurangabad Sushil Kumar also joined BJP in presence of Singh.
Earlier in the day, Purandeswari met senior BJP leader L K Advani at his residence besides Singh and Leaders of Opposition in Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley.
She said she decided to quit Congress as she was left with no option after the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh.
"The party (Congress) took the decision to bifurcate the state and all abided by it because it was the decision taken by the party. But unfortunately, the manner in which the bifurcation has taken place has hurt me," she told a press conference here.
Sharing dais with Naidu, she claimed that circumstances had forced her to take the decision to quit Congress.
Purandeshwari, who was the Minister of State for Commerce and Industry, resigned from Congress after the Telangana bill was introduced in the Lok Sabha last month.
"I have come here to share my decision. I have spoken to all. I am not exerting pressure on anybody to be with me and come with me. I have left it to them. The situation is such that we have to take a painful decision," she had said earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read