Quota of MPs increased in Kendriya Vidyalayas
New Delhi: The government has raised Kendriya Vidyalaya admission quota for MPs from two to six seats in the wake of increased demands from the Parliamentarians.
With this, roughly 6,000 seats in the KVs would be filled up on the recommendations of the Parliamentarians, HRD Ministry official said after a meeting chaired by HRD Minister Kapil Sibal with KV Board of Governors.
At present, there are 1,087 Kendriya Vidyalayas with over one million students in its roll across the country.
The development comes following Sibal`s assurance in Parliament during the Budget Session in this regard.
Under the new plan, jurisdiction of Lok Sabha MPs will be limited to their constituency. Rajya Sabha MPs, however, can recommend admissions across the state.
Earlier, MPs could nominate only two students every academic session. But after the Right to Education Act came into force in April 2010, the scheme was scrapped -- only to be restored in May following intense pressure from MPs.
The HRD Ministry had also sent a reference to the Law Ministry sometime back on its proposal to hike the quota from 2 to 6 seats, even as the Law Ministry had opined that said such a move would be "unconstitutional".
The Law Ministry had pointed out that the proposal is not in conformity with the Delhi High Court order of November 17, 1998.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi