Rahul Gandhi has become a challenge for his own party: Smriti Irani
Kolkata: Congress does not have any credible alternative to challenge the BJP, party leader Smriti Irani claimed today and said Congress Vice-president Rahul Gandhi has become a challenge for his own party after its consecutive defeats.
"In Uttar Pradesh elections too the Gandhi family had to lose. Congress may declare it prime ministerial candidate. But one thing is for sure that Congress has to taste defeat in the hands of BJP-led by Narendra Modi," Irani, Vice-president of BJP, said in the sidelines of a programme here.
"If they (Congress) had any alternative they would have declared it by now. They don`t have any credible alternative, which is proven by the fact that Sonia Gandhi is yet to declare the PM candidate and has adopted a wait and watch policy," she said.
Irani said Congress spokespersons while speaking on the poll debacle in three states yesterday, did not clarify whether this debacle was due to political functioning of Rahul Gandhi.
"Yesterday none of the Congress spokesperson while speaking answered the question whether this defeat was due to Rahul Gandhi`s style of functioning. This was because they know it very well that Rahul Gandhi himself has become a challenge for the party," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins