Rahul meets PM following fuel price hike protest
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi had a meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday as government grappled with the situation arising out of protests against petrol price hike and demands from UPA allies like Trinamool Congress, DMK and NCP for a rollback.
With the opposition also training its guns on the government on the issue, the Prime Minister also presided over a meeting of the Congress Core Group hours after the AICC asked government to find a way out so as to ameliorate the impact of the hike on the common man.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi, recuperating after a surgery last month, was not present at the meeting which was attended by senior ministers Pranab Mukherjee, AK Antony, P Chidambaram and Sonia Gandhi`s political secretary Ahmed Patel.
Law Minister Salman Khurshid, who is not a member of the Core Group, was also invited for the meeting that lasted for 50 minutes. There was no official word on what transpired in Gandhi`s meeting with the Prime Minister or at the Core Group.
At the AICC briefing, party spokesperson Rashid Alvi said, "The party is concerned very much. A way out should be found and we are sure the government will do it".
He at the same time said the hike was "inevitable" as it has been carried out by oil marketing companies on the principle of `no-profit-no-loss`.
The Congress spokesperson, however, refused to comment when asked about the opposition from UPA`s allies to the price hike and their demand for a rollback.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre