Rahul vows to fight for empowerment of panchayats
Ranchi: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi has expressed his displeasure at some states like Jammu and Kashmir and Jharkhand not delegating power to panchayats and pledged that he will fight for empowerment of the rural bodies.
"Panchayat elections were held in Jammu and Kashmir, but power has not been delegated to the rural bodies. And in Jharkhand also panchayats have not got power," he said at a meeting or Jharkhand Pradesh Youth Congress meeting in Bokaro on wednesday.
Jharkhand Youth Congress president Jai Mangal Singh, who had attended the meeting in Bokaro, said, "Rahulji told us he would fight for the rights of panchayats after he learnt that devolution of powers has not yet taken place in Jharkhand."
"Rahulji was disappointed when he learnt that panchayat bodies have not yet been given power to execute developmental work in Jharkhand too even after nearly two years of elections," Congress leader Butter Sardar who attended one of Gandhi`s meetings, said here on wednesday.
During his just-concluded meeting with the panchayat representatives in Ranchi, Gandhi wondered why panchayat members did not get power soon after elections when MPs and MLAs get power soon after election.
The Arjun Munda government has already issued a list of powers delegating to panchayat bodies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof