Railway "Bheem" ready to roll out
New Delhi: With an aim of hauling heavier
trains, railways is ready to roll out a newly-designed 5500 horse power (HP) diesel locomotive equipped with all modern features including 100 km per hour running speed.
Aptly named as "Bheem", the high horse power locomotive
is currently undergoing safety trial. Manufactured at Diesel
Locomotive Works at Varanasi, the prototype has cost about Rs
17 crore to the railways.
Railways have 4500 HP diesel locos for freight operation
and with the induction of "Bheem", the carrying capacity will
increase substantially," said a senior Railway Ministry
official, adding "railways will manufacture 15 such
locomotives in the current fiscal."
Railways have set a loading target of 1025 million
tonnes for 2012-13, 55 MT more than the last fiscal.
Designed jointly by the Railways and EMD, a US-based
company, the locomotive has a provision of toilet for crew, a
first in railways.
"It has been been designed to set up new standards for
crew comfort and safety. Among others the locomotive is fuel
efficient as it is equipped with electronic fuel injection and
emission control system. Besides it has heated ventilation air
conditioning, collision protection system and an ergonomically
designed driver seat," the official said.
The locomotive comes with a huge fuel capacity of 7500
litres to provide long runs without refueling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Amitabh clears air about NDA's 2-year anniversary event, says only hosting segment on girl child campaign
- 'Banjo' motion poster: Watch the brilliant backdrop flavoured with powerful Indian beats!
- Five brilliant tips on age management!
- World's 60 million refugees need 2.78 mn surgeries a year
- PM Modi congratulates Mamata on her second innings as West Bengal CM