Raje wants debate on lowering the age of consensual sex
Kolkata: Former Rajasthan chief minister Vasundhara Raje on Friday said she wanted a debate on the Centre`s decision to lower the age of consensual sex from 18 to 16 years.
"I want a debate on this. I know many women present here have strong views about it. It may create furore without talks," Raje told an interactive session on empowering women by the Ficci Ladies Organisation here.
"I will discuss with the people of Rajasthan. Then I may come back to you with my comments," the senior BJP leader told a questioner.
Speaking about the Delhi gang-rape, the former chief minister said "The `Nirbhaya` incident makes us aware that it can happen to anyone of us. One`s position perhaps does not make her more secure as a woman.
"It does not happen in some states, why should it happen in the others?" she asked.
"Security has to come. People in the government have to be sensitive. Streets must be made safer for everybody. We have to educate our girls (to defend themselves)," she said.
"To educate women is the most important thing. They have to understand their bodies. It is very very important they stand up for their daughters," Raje said.
To a question from a participant, Raje said "Yes, the boy should be taught to show respect to women and girls. Educate the boy as well."
Sharply reacting to a suggestion about dwindling sex ratio in Rajasthan, Raje said "It is not just the situation of Rajasthan, but the entire country."
To a question about West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Raje said "She is dedicated and hard working woman. I know her personally. I cannot comment on other things. I don`t live in this state."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!