Raje wants debate on lowering the age of consensual sex
Kolkata: Former Rajasthan chief minister Vasundhara Raje on Friday said she wanted a debate on the Centre`s decision to lower the age of consensual sex from 18 to 16 years.
"I want a debate on this. I know many women present here have strong views about it. It may create furore without talks," Raje told an interactive session on empowering women by the Ficci Ladies Organisation here.
"I will discuss with the people of Rajasthan. Then I may come back to you with my comments," the senior BJP leader told a questioner.
Speaking about the Delhi gang-rape, the former chief minister said "The `Nirbhaya` incident makes us aware that it can happen to anyone of us. One`s position perhaps does not make her more secure as a woman.
"It does not happen in some states, why should it happen in the others?" she asked.
"Security has to come. People in the government have to be sensitive. Streets must be made safer for everybody. We have to educate our girls (to defend themselves)," she said.
"To educate women is the most important thing. They have to understand their bodies. It is very very important they stand up for their daughters," Raje said.
To a question from a participant, Raje said "Yes, the boy should be taught to show respect to women and girls. Educate the boy as well."
Sharply reacting to a suggestion about dwindling sex ratio in Rajasthan, Raje said "It is not just the situation of Rajasthan, but the entire country."
To a question about West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Raje said "She is dedicated and hard working woman. I know her personally. I cannot comment on other things. I don`t live in this state."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you