Rajya Sabha takes up SEBI bill
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha on Tuesday took up the Securities Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2014, with a view to curb the menace of ponzi schemes.
The bill has been brought in the wake of thousands of people in West Bengal losing their money in the Saradha chit fund scam.
The new law empowers market watchdog Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) to search the premises of suspect companies and obtain information within and outside India.
The bill was passed by the Lok Sabha on August 06.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Space shuttle launch: PM Modi hails ISRO scientists
- Ariana Grande trips at Billboard Music Awards red carpet
- Yuvraj Singh returns to Indian Premier League playoffs after seven long years
- With 'Sairat', Marathi cinema flies high on BO, appreciation
- Barack Obama confirms death of Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour, says chance for peace