Rajya Sabha takes up SEBI bill
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha on Tuesday took up the Securities Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2014, with a view to curb the menace of ponzi schemes.
The bill has been brought in the wake of thousands of people in West Bengal losing their money in the Saradha chit fund scam.
The new law empowers market watchdog Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) to search the premises of suspect companies and obtain information within and outside India.
The bill was passed by the Lok Sabha on August 06.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?
- Florida shooting: Three taken into custody, more suspects sought
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey