Rajya Sabha takes up SEBI bill
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha on Tuesday took up the Securities Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2014, with a view to curb the menace of ponzi schemes.
The bill has been brought in the wake of thousands of people in West Bengal losing their money in the Saradha chit fund scam.
The new law empowers market watchdog Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) to search the premises of suspect companies and obtain information within and outside India.
The bill was passed by the Lok Sabha on August 06.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back