Ram Jethmalani supports Baba Ramdev`s proposed fast
Srinagar: Noted lawyer and BJP MP Ram
Jethmalani on Thursday supported Baba Ramdev`s proposed fast against
corruption and black money stashed abroad, saying the Yoga
guru is fighting for the restoration of the country`s "stolen
"What Baba Ramdev is fighting for is restoration of
the stolen property of the entire Indian nation including the
property in which a part belongs to the people of Jammu and
Kashmir. So, therefore, I think Baba Ramdev requires the help
and support of every citizen," Jethmalani told reporters here.
Jethmalani, who heads the revived Kashmir Committee,
arrived here along with other members of the panel and had a
closed-door meeting with hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali
Jethmalani said he will also join Baba Ramdev`s fast
against corruption after his return from Kashmir.
"I am his follower and he is my friend. I am here till
June 6, if his campaign will continue till then I will meet
him and sit with him," Jethmalani said.
The noted jurist said he has full of sympathy for the
anti-corruption mission of the Yoga guru, who has planned to
go on fast from June 4.
"I am one of his fans and followers and fully in
sympathy with what Baba Ramdev is doing," he said.
He also supported Baba Ramdev`s demand for inclusion
of Prime Minister and the Chief Justice of India under the
ambit of the Lokpal bill.
"They should be included, provided Lokpal is somebody
appointed with the consent of the whole nation," Jethmalani
He, however, said that the Lokpal bill is not a
solution in itself.
"It is a means of solving a problem, so the fight over
the Lokpal bill is unnecessarily prolonging. They should
accept that everybody shall be subject to the jurisdiction of
the Lokpal," he said.
He said Lokpal should have the confidence of the
"All that I want is that the Lokpal hismelf must be a
person who enjoys the confidence of the entire nation.
Government cannot appoint a Lokpal who will sit in judgement
over a Prime Minister... Ye to bewkufi ki baat hai (This is
foolish talk)," he said.
Jethmalani said the most important part of the Lokpal
bill is the method of the selection of the Lokpal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India