Ramlila swoop: Delhi police gets SC stick again
New Delhi: The midnight crackdown on Yoga
Guru Ramdev and his followers at the Ramlila ground during
their protest against corruption evoked sharp reaction from
the Supreme Court which sought an explanation from Delhi
Police the reasons for not waiting till the morning.
"Explain whether the use of force was justified? What
were the circumstance which led to the action and why the
police could not wait till the morning to ask the people to
leave the venue," said a bench comprising justices B S Chauhan
and Swatanter Kumar.
The court sought the response from the Delhi Police by
The remarks were made by the Bench when advocate Ram
Jethmalani, appearing for Bharat Swabhiman Trust headed by
Ramdev, was making submission that the midnight crackdown on
June 4-5 was an attempt crush the peaceful protest.
He compared the incident with the atrocities during the
Nazi era in Germany and accused Home Minister P Chidambaram of
being responsible for the crackdown in which a woman died and
several others were injured.
"Are we living under dictatorship or a Nazi rule that
Baba Ramdev shall not be allowed to carry out his protest and
will not be allowed to stay in Delhi," Jethmalani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog