Ramlila swoop: Delhi police gets SC stick again
New Delhi: The midnight crackdown on Yoga
Guru Ramdev and his followers at the Ramlila ground during
their protest against corruption evoked sharp reaction from
the Supreme Court which sought an explanation from Delhi
Police the reasons for not waiting till the morning.
"Explain whether the use of force was justified? What
were the circumstance which led to the action and why the
police could not wait till the morning to ask the people to
leave the venue," said a bench comprising justices B S Chauhan
and Swatanter Kumar.
The court sought the response from the Delhi Police by
The remarks were made by the Bench when advocate Ram
Jethmalani, appearing for Bharat Swabhiman Trust headed by
Ramdev, was making submission that the midnight crackdown on
June 4-5 was an attempt crush the peaceful protest.
He compared the incident with the atrocities during the
Nazi era in Germany and accused Home Minister P Chidambaram of
being responsible for the crackdown in which a woman died and
several others were injured.
"Are we living under dictatorship or a Nazi rule that
Baba Ramdev shall not be allowed to carry out his protest and
will not be allowed to stay in Delhi," Jethmalani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!