`Rape accused should not be fielded in elections`
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of the Delhi gang-rape incident that shook the nation, Congress on Thursday fully endorsed BSP chief Mayawati`s view that rape accused should not be fielded as candidates in elections.
"...This is a very good proposal. We fully agree that those found involved in rape and sexual crimes should not be given ticket," Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters here.
Mayawati had yesterday said in Lucknow that her party agrees with the view that those accused of rape should not be fielded by political parties in polls.
The Congress spokesperson also said that changes will be brought in the law dealing with sex crimes against women as per the suggestions of the Justice J S Verma Commmittee as the party is "greatly concerned" over such incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kesha gets standing ovation after Billboard Awards performance
- Multiple blasts hit two Syrian coastal cities, over 100 killed so far
- India vs Zimbabwe: Complete list of Men in Blue's 16-man squad
- IPL 2016: Kieron Pollard expresses shock over Dwayne Bravo's fine, calls it 'ridiculous'
- IPL 9 VIDEO: Guess who led Kolkata Knight Riders' playoffs celebrations!