`Rape accused should not be fielded in elections`
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of the Delhi gang-rape incident that shook the nation, Congress on Thursday fully endorsed BSP chief Mayawati`s view that rape accused should not be fielded as candidates in elections.
"...This is a very good proposal. We fully agree that those found involved in rape and sexual crimes should not be given ticket," Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters here.
Mayawati had yesterday said in Lucknow that her party agrees with the view that those accused of rape should not be fielded by political parties in polls.
The Congress spokesperson also said that changes will be brought in the law dealing with sex crimes against women as per the suggestions of the Justice J S Verma Commmittee as the party is "greatly concerned" over such incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- SHOCKING VIDEO of Pampore attack surfaces online; terrorists can be heard firing indiscriminately - WATCH
- 7th Pay Commission: LIVE streaming of FM Jaitley Cabinet briefing
- Instead of holidaying in Bangkok, Ravi Shastri should have been physically present for high-profile coach interview: Sourav Ganguly
- Freedom 251: Will Ringing Bells ever deliver the Rs 251 smartphone?
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 606—Tanushree's plan to denigrate Pragya ends with a facepalm